Any grow light dealers out there?

I've done some research and pretty much know what I'm looking for now.
I'd like to find a nice quality polished reflector like at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemw70696002 with a 150-175 watt lamp and ballast similar to the wide spectrum of a Hortilux Blue.
Does anyone sell a setup like that?
--
- Mama Bear

You can construct a functionally identical reflector out of cardboard, contact-glued on foil - shiny side out. With care, you can actually get it to look as good, if not better.
Ian Stirling wrote:

White paint is actually more reflective that aluminum foil.
Cardboard will likely burn up in close proximity to a 175W lamp like that. Make the reflector out of metal flashing and paint it flat white enamel.
You also need to be careful about your lamp selection if it's not in an enclosed fixture.
Best regards, Bob

That's why I'd really rather buy something like in that auction, just to play it safe.

That's another thing I've heard about using this for grow lighting. If a drop of water splatters up on the lamp, poof, $$$ down the drain. I see some fixtures that are sealed, but then you get the heating problems.
--
- Mama Bear

Mama Bear wrote:

You don't have to worry about a stray drop of water somehow getting to the ceiling and hitting the lamp. HID lamps can explode on their own when they get old. ==(8-0
If the lamp is designed for open fixtures, the outer glass is strong enough to contain the explosion if the inner capsule bursts.
BTW, I have a surplus 400W HPS security light in my basement that I use to keep plants alive in the winter. It's adequate, but the plants like the triphosphor fluorescents better.
Bob

Ok but the point is that a droplet of water can cost me a lot of money.

That's why I'm looking for a 150-175 watt broadband MH lamp, of similar spectrum to the Hortilix Blue, which the silly people don't make in that power range.
--
Libertarian Woman

Good idea. So now all I need is a 175 watt metal halide broad spectrum lamp ( balanced blue and yellow ) and matched decent quality ballast-socket combo.
Any ideas on where I can find those on the web?
--
- Mama Bear

http://www.altgarden.com
specifically
http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&pg
although no picture of the bulb. <G>
Bulbs are usually rated by their color temperature, so the difference between 3K and 5K is more blue in the spectrum. And 1000 less lumens, at twice the cost.
5000 Kelvin's is also called "daylight", since that closely matches the spectrum of sunlight.
Smaller bulbs, up to 250w are more common these days in industrial and commercial lighting, it is possible to find them at home centers and electrical supply places, just ask for daylight bulbs.
-- If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

Or the fixture, ballast or anything. :)
Pig in a poke anyone?

The hard part seems to be finding them with sockets and ballasts. ( and of course in wide spectrum MH )
--
- Mama Bear

Mama Bear wrote:

Just get a 3000k coated lamp and it will be wide-spectrum enough. The coated lamps also don't fade everything in the room as much; don't ask me how I know this.
Instead of getting a universal (U) lamp, get one that is made specifically for the orientation you are using. (Probably HOR, or maybe VBU, depending on the fixture)
Best regards, Bob

Ok, well if I want to just go on ebay than, and put it all together myself, can I just look for any new 175 watt ballast, get a lamp and a socket for it, wire it all up, make my own reflector and I'm in business? Will the components all work together without having to be specially designed for each other?
--
- Mama Bear

Yes, with in reason. Putting a 250 w lamp in my 4 foot (meant for 1000w) reflector meant a little bit of fiddling to get it to fit right.
You can't run a MH bulb on a HPS ballast for example, you can but it requires a special conversion bulb. The size of bulb and ballast has to match. The voltage used to start the bulbs is high, so the wiring and socket have to be special high voltage.
175 and 250 watt light integrated units can be found, check your local big box store. The specialty stores don't carry them anymore.
And you can find special MH lamps at pet shops that specialize in saltwater reef tanks, which can use lamps with very (10K, 15K) ratings.
-- If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

I've got an Aqualite 250W 10,000K one, and it pumps out rather large amounts of ozone -- you wouldn't want to run it indoors for any length of time. It must be run behind a glass shield to protect you from UV (these give off more than regular MH lamps) and hot debris if the lamp explodes at end of life.
--
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote :

The 10,000k ones are meant only for fish tanks, arent they?
Someone was saying that 3000k-4000k metal halide is best for plants?
--
- Mama Bear

Hey lookie!: http://tinyurl.com/rfcae
--
- Mama Bear

They are in a different section than the raw bulbs.

A MH bulb looks pretty much like any other.
I've got one of these http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&pa5 in my living room, growing umbrella plants. I have, and will in the future, purchased from these folks, I know they are good.

you mean like this? http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&pY0
"This simple, highly reflective Wing reflector gives you a top notch system at a rock bottom price. Hydrotek has put together a great system with simple design and quality components. The 5-year warranty on the North American-made ballast will keep you running for years to come."
In your case, you'll want to pop for the $20 upgrade to the agro-sun bulb, as this is an HPS system. But browse around see what u find.
-- If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

Not so. I'm looking for a wide spectrum, like the Hortilux Blue, except 150-175 watts.

and
and

I'm looking for 150-175 watts.
--
Libertarian Woman

http://www.hydrofarm.com / http://www.hydroempire.com / http://www.gchydro.com / http://www.bghydro.com / http://www.ecogrow.com /
Go google for hydroponics and you'll find even more.
-- If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.