Another Coleus question

I was just looking at some of the Coleus in the garden and was wondering if keeping some of the seed or flower stems over the winter, if they can be put in potting soil in the spring in the house to start new plants. If this is possible, how would be the best to treat these seeds for future planting? I don't have the room to take cuttings now and pot and try to grow thru the winter in the house. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul O.

You can save the seeds, however this is not usually done because you may get an entirely different coleus plants with other properties. I overwinter my coleus by taking cuttings and grow them in a glass of water in a basement window (not much space at all). If your winter is long, you can take cuttings from the rooted cuttings 6 weeks before you plan to transplant into the garden. You'll get stronger roots if a rooting medium is used. I found that Vermiculite works best.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cuttings will root and grow very easily and this is the usual method of propagation. They will grow as a house plant if kept in bright light. Without sunlight they may "bleach".

There was a much admired plant in an office where I worked, it was large and healthy but bright green, without the varigated colours that are so common. Several people took cuttings and grew them but were disappointed when they reverted to the standard colouring!

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I don't know where you live, but here in Western NY, we get just one chance to grow most things from seed. Plants like coleus have very tiny seeds and they require quite a long time to grow to the stage where you can transplant them. If your seed collection and storage procedures aren't up to par (whatever that means), you won't know until you have a big germination failure, and you'll end up having to buy plants.

Try saving some seeds if you like, but I'd also buy some and plant them as insurance.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks all for your replies, appreciate it.

Reply to
Paul O.