Annual Ryegrass

Page 2 of 2

Thistles will also attract some nice gold finches, if you are in the right place of N. America.
Chris
wrote in message

Thistles will also attract some nice gold finches, if you are in the right place of N. America. ______________________________ I'm on the other side of the world and in another hemisphere from N. America. But we do get some lots of birds here - 60 different species in a 6 month period (or so I'm told by the resident former member of Gould League of Birdlovers).

Deer will eat grass but it would not be a favorite food and in the summer, the whole world is one big salad bar to them. I, too, doubt that critters are your problem.
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:12:32 -0700 (PDT), Frank

If not grass what do you think is the main diet of deer during summer, and rye grass is one of their favorites... rabbits love it too, so do woodchucks, and of course Canada geese. Dairy farmers plant rye grass as a forage crop. Foraging critters will eat most anything green but rye grass is a favorite. In early August in South Carolina it wouldn't have gotten cold enough to kill off annual rye. And I know from living most of my life on Long Island that rye grass handles drought very well. Unless yoose can prove with eyeball documentation that the rye grass disappeared otherwise I'm sticking to critters. The deer near the cabin likely wouldn't have eaten the grass while someone was living there but be certain they were just waiting for an opportunity... and then yoose left... that grass patch probably lasted maybe three days.

<http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/covercrop.html
Info on tomatoes from above site.
<http://attra.ncat.org/calendar/question.php/2010/08/16/what-information - can-you-give-me-on-factors-that-affect-the-flavor-of-tomatoes>
OR http://tinyurl.com/24mcm8x