Animal Resistant Ground Cover for Base of Photinia

I have installed a hedge of Photinia Red Tip into a mound of earth, trying to get the height up a little bit. The mound will erode if left uncovered. What would be an attractive ground cover to help firm up the soil and stop erosion that meets these criteria:
- Squirrel and rabbit resistant
- Low water requirement
- Nice root growth horizontally to keep the soil in place.

On 5/6/12 2:24 PM, W wrote:

You did not need to plant it in a mound. Photinia will quickly grow quite tall.
I cannot think of any ground cover that will grow close to photinia. Photinia should have foliage all the way to the ground, creating too much shade for any ground cover.
There might be a few temporary ground covers you might try. Without knowing where you are (your climate), however, I cannot suggest anything.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

trying
the
San Francisco Bay Area, which is a Mediterranean climate.
Hot summers to 100 degrees and winters typically average 50 degrees.

On 5/13/12 10:23 AM, W wrote:

Nasturtiums, Persicaria, Hahn's ivy (a dwarf English ivy).
--
W wrote:

I call it the Mother's Day plant because in the US that's when it flowers: Lily Of The Valley. It's highly toxic, no critters eat it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_of_the_Valley