Amaryllis Question

I have 2 Amaryllis that were beautiful last Christmas season. I cut off the flower/stem and put them in the green house for the foliage to dye off. Some of it did, some did not. I looked at them today and see no change in the bulbs at all. They are in the original pots, do I transplant them into something bigger? Any suggestions or just spend another 5 bucks for a new one? MJ
mj wrote:

You can keep them in the same small pots (how small are they?) for years. An 8" azalea pot works really well, even when they get big.
Bob
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:40:19 AM UTC-4, zxcvbob wrote:

They are 6 inch pots. Do they need to reach a certain "cold" to blossom? Maybe they weren't cold enough?
On 10/11/12 7:44 AM, mj wrote:

Are they true Amaryllis belladonna (commonly called 'Naked Lady'), or are they Hippeastrum (commonly called 'amaryllis')? See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html for distinguishing these two.
If they are Hippeastrum, they are normally evergreen and do not go dormant (other than slowing their growth in the winter). Hippeastrum is subtropical or even tropical and does not need chilling to bloom. Actually, it does not want chilling; the chilling required by tulips might kill Hippeastrum.
Hippeastrum blooms best when pot-bound. Some people keep them in the same pot until the plant (mother bulb plus side bulbs) split the pot apart.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:05:21 PM UTC-4, David E. Ross wrote:

Ok so what do I do now to get them to bloom?
On 10/11/12 10:21 AM, mj wrote:

I don't know about growing Amaryllis belladonna.
If it is Hippeastrum, keep it growing through the winter. It needs light, sufficient water so that the soil is moist but not wet, and protection from freezing.
In the spring, you can place it outdoors where it will get some direct sun. Then, give it a light feeding. If it went dormant (all leaved died) despite your winter care, it should flower once in the spring or summer. If the leaves stayed green through the winter, it might flower twice or even three times.