amaryllis

I love the amaryllis, I have 6 now because I can't seem to get them to bloom the following year, so I keep buying more. Ive tried everything, Has anyone had any success in this department?
I love the amaryllis, I have 6 now because I can't seem to get them to bloom the following year, so I keep buying more. Ive tried everything, Has anyone had any success in this department?

See here
http://www.amaryllis.com/pac.htm
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/amaryllis.html
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Do you have Amaryllis belladonna (commonly called "naked lady" or "belladonna lily")? Or do you have a Hippeastrum (commonly called "amaryllis")? If it's A. belladonna and you moved or repotted, it might not bloom for several years. If it's Hippeastrum and you made it go dormant, it will bloom when you don't force dormancy.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
On 2007-01-25 15:55:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said:

Full sun, fertilize every other watering with half strength Miracle grow or a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.
#1, you may have planted them too deep. You need to leave the necks exposed, or they won't bloom.
#2, you're overfertilizing, and you should be using an organic fertilizer, such as blood and bone meal, organo, or Milorganite.
#3, you MUST leave all the leaves on when the bloom is done. They feed the bulb. Cutting them back will cause it not to bloom.
#4, if you're growing them in pots. they will not bloom if they are rootbound. Take it out, put it in a plastic bag, and put it in your crisper when all foliage has turned crispy. When you want it to sprout, bring it out and set it in the pot, water very lightly. Mine have bloomed lying in a clump in a basket (unplanted), so they really thrive on neglect.

Deb2 wrote [in part]:

Hippeastrum actually blooms better if root-bound. Some people leave them in the same pot until the bulb and its offsets crack the pot apart.
Both Hippeastrum and Amaryllis belladonna are tropical or subtropical bulbs. They do not want (let alone need) winter chilling or artificial chilling in a refrigerator. Freezing weather -- so good for tulips -- can kill Hippeastrum. A. belladonna is more hardy and can take temperatures down to 15F.
A. belladonna is a deciduous bulb and will go dormant. That's the worst time to repot. Do it then, and it might not bloom for many years. The best time to repot is right after blooming.
Hippeastrum is an evergreen bulb that might go dormant only where winter storms (wind and pounding rain) kill the foliage. Otherwise, try to keep it green all year round. If you can keep it green, it might bloom two or even three times during the year.