Allotment Bird and Cat Netting

I've been having trouble with birds and cats getting on to my allotment and spoiling my fruits and vegetables. I am looking at getting some netting to put over my plants but was not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats. If anyone could advise me that would be great.
Thanks.
--
rmacdonald

.410 gauge
nb

As with most problems, this is the worst answer, unless you want to spend more time down at the local nick. It is an easy answer though for the lazy, and simple minded.
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

...yet apparently painful to those devoid of any humor.
nb

A weapon is humor? Get help.
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

I don't need help. I have a weapon. ;)
nb
You can handle cats with a chicken wire fence from a hardware store, birds with bird-netting from a gardening shop.
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:15:00 +0000, rmacdonald

rmacdonald wrote:

The synthetic fibre (polypropylene ??) netting used on orchards, grape vines etc to exclude birds ought to keep out cats too. The mesh is about 2-2.5cm. This will be cheaper than wire mesh and easier to erect. You should be able to get it at any garden shop.
It won't exclude frugivorous beasties with sharp teeth like possums, which will chew through almost anything to get to a ripe peach. I am guessing the cats are not eating your fruit but causing other nuisance that they will probably do elsewhere rather than chew through a net.
David
Thanks for all the replies. I've managed to get some netting that seems to be doing the trick so far.
--
rmacdonald