Advice on Wisteria and olive tree

I am new to gardening so hopefully someone can help. I bought a 4m hig

wisteria (grafted) to be planted on the front of my house. I have see these over bay windows and it looks really good. My question is if it safe to plant these near the wall (about 30cm from thewall)? I hav read some posts on the internet and some of them say that the westeri will not cause any subsidence or wall damage while others say it coul cause damage. I really dont want to plant it if its likely to cause an structual damage. I have seen other gradens on my street with them nex to the wall!

The second question is if the olive tree can cause structal damage t building near by

-- ilansachi

Reply to
ilansachi

Wisteria does not sucker on to the wall like ivy so it can always be pruned or removed if required. However with age it can become very heavy so you would want to make sure that it is well attached to its support and that the support it is on is strong enough to hold the weight.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thanks David, thats good that it won't do any damge to the wall. Woul

the roots cause any problems for the foundation? The wisteria I bough is not in a big pot and its 4 meters tall so I was hoping that th roots are not going spread too much and cause any problems for th foundation. I found something on the net that said the roots coul absorb the moisture and dry the walls causing damage

-- ilansachi

Reply to
ilansachi