Zucchini dying

I have a zucchini plant that keeps sprouting new leaves but the old leaves turn yellow then dry up and die as fast as the new leaves sprout so my plant is the same size all the time and never makes any zucchini. I looked for worms burrowed in the sprouts but that doesnt seem to be the problem. is it too much water? too little? not enough sun? too much sun? not enough fertilizer?
any ideas?
not enough water if you are having high heat temps and you need to fertilize atleast once a month