Why are my tomato seedlings wilting?

My indoor tomato seedlings (four varieties, 2 heirloom, same conditions as last year) started really slowly this year and now 4 weeks after germination seem to be slowly wilting--bottom leaves first, no spots or colour change, not falling over. Any ideas re what I can do? I used potting soil--is that bad? Would my storebought manure or homemade compost help?
Thanks,
Sarah
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Is the potting soil new? Potting soil contains enough nutrients to feed a plant for a season, then needs to be revitalized or (as I do) dumped onto the bare patches on my lawn or into some of the raised beds.
Other things that I can think of off the top of my head would be the temperature (too hot in a window perhaps) and pot size...I use 30L buckets. Tomatoes also like a slightly acidic soil so I usually add some peat to my potting soil (and no lime).
..
cloud dreamer wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful--yes it is last year's potting soil. Is there any hope for them if I transplant them into new stuff? Or feed them a lot with extra nutrients?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Absolutely, you could transplant them if they're not too big. It would be easier, at this point to put them into new soil rather than trying to revitalize the soil they are in now.
When I transplant seedlings, I use a Miracle Gro product I think is called Quick Start and is meant to invigorate the roots. That'll help your seedlings if you're able to transplant them into new soil.
..
Zone 5a in Canada's Far East
If and when you transplant them, check the roots after they are removed from their pots. If you see a lot of roots on the edge of the soil all tangled up, it would indicate that the tomatoes became 'pot bound' and suffered from lack of growing space. If that's the case, gently untangle the visible roots and replant them in a larger container.
Sherwin D.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Wilting if oft times a sugn of over-watering. It would be most helpful if you could describe more completely how you are trying to raise these seedlings.
Light source Water regime Growing location (bat cave or damp basement, kitchen window sill, floros, etc.)
--
TQ