When To Transplant Spinach Seedlings?

I have some spinach seeds starting indoors. They just began sprouting in the past couple of days.

How long should I let them develop before planting them outside? Some number of days? Or some size?

BTW, it is autumn on this side of the world, but my area is OK for winter crops like this.

Thanks...

Reply to
Coffee's For Closers

I believe you'll have best success if the seedlings develop some before you set them out. They need good light - if you don't have good light, you need to provide decent artificial light. I'd wait at least until seedlings develop true leaves. You won't have to fertilize until you have bigger plants - the seed has enough nutrients for small seedlings.

When setting out, be sure to do it gradually. Expose plants to direct sun only for a few hours at first - best if the day is shady, cool, and calm (no wind to speak of). Protect from wind if you have a cool cloudy day but it's windy!

Reply to
gonzo