When to pick watermelons

How can I tell when to pick watermelons from my garden? Are they supposed to sound hollow or is there another sign to look for?
Thanks Dave
x-no-archive: yes

Several tests are:
1. Early in the morning, give the melon a thump with your knuckles. A ripe melon will give a dull "pong" sound (a green one will give a "ping" sound). 2. Look for the tendril next to the melon stem. If it has turned dry and brown, the melon is ripe. 3. Turn the melon over and look at the spot where it has rested on the ground. A yellow (not white) spot indicates a riper melon.
-- dkra
--
dkraatmmiiidotixdotnetcomdotcom
[Subtract two thousand and (one plus two), plus the "." of course.]