What the heck is a young shoot?

Is a young shoot the same as a sprout? I read in a book that a young shoot of this one plant was edible and I would like to know exactly what that is before I eat something that will make me halucinate or something.

get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania

L H

How about before any leaves unfurl? A shoot implies not a seedling, but a plant coming back out. Like Poke Salit. The young shoots of Pokeweed, something you don't want to eat when full grown.

That help? Might help to know what plant as well, unless you do want to see things of course...

John!

L H wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Pokeweed was the first thing that crossed my mind as well. I wonder if L H will confess that this was the plant in question or tell what it was, if not?

Steve

GA P> How about before any leaves unfurl? A shoot implies not a seedling, but

Reply to
Steve

Anything with milky sap, well goofy alkaloids and all...

Angel's Trumpet maybe? I saw some folks selling them on the side of the road today. Lots of folks have them planted around here.

John!

Steve wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

First thing I thought about was Young Daylilly shoots. They are edible

but then so is the flower and the little tubel> Is a young shoot the same as a sprout?

Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

Actually, I believe it started with pigweed and then sort of became kind of a collective plant. That is all plants with edible shoots Milkweed,chickweed,and even cattail root has young shoots.

I will tell ya what got me thinking about the difference is this. I sprout legumes, and so on, and was looking for other unusual sproutables.

Actually , going back one more step the process what really got me thinking about it was chewing on an apple seed and wondering if a apple seed, or other "fruit" seeds were sproutable. I found out that quantities of certain fruit seeds are poisonous and contain a form of cyanide but NOTHING on sprouted seeds. However, This is another topic.

I would really like to know what unusual edible plants could be sprouted to eat. However,I do not think any reliable info exist. I am not to interesting in finding out the hard way. :)

Thanks for clearing up what a shoot is.

get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania

L H

I thought so...

that would be a sprout, an annual from a seed.

How about herb seeds? Flavorful. Cilantro comes to mind.

John!

L H wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead