Tomatoes skins splitting

I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year. I would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too little that caused this to happen? Pat <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc ">Aussies in Shelters</A> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324 ">Dakota's Rescue Page</A>
Just keep your watering consistent. When tomatoes get an overabundance of water, their skins will split open.
Penny Zone 7b - North Carolina

They'll even split after you pick them - if you wash them and aren't going to slice them immediately, then dry them with a clean towel before they slurp up the water left on them and split.
cheers,
Marj
* * * Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/ Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden / In Sunset zone 14-mild

Too long between watering. A thirsty plant, will have sudden spurt of growth, the skin of the fruit will not stretch fast enough, and will split. Len