Tomato Splitting

It's nearing the end of the tomato season in Seattle - my tomatoes seem full-grown, just beginning to redden. How much would it affect ripening at this stage to just cut the stem or major branch near its base before the next forecasted rain and allow the tomatoes to remain propped up on the vine? That would eliminate excess water absorption that causes splitting, but how much would it decrease fruit sugar content? Anyone have experience with this?

RHR

Reply to
R. H. Rosenberg

RHR, not with tomatoes but with grapes. Grapes absorb water at the pedicle that attach the fruit to the rachis and subsequently to the vine. If this be the case in tomatoes, then the rain that falls on the pedicle is your problem not absorbed water on adjacent leaves.

-Bill Coloribus gustibus n> It's nearing the end of the tomato season in Seattle - my tomatoes seem

Reply to
William L. Rose