tomatoes not flowering

Page 1 of 2
hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping they will i've planted out 30 of them!
--
chancethegardnr

Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 19, 2:38 pm, chancethegardnr <chancethegardnr.

I would be interested to know about this as well.
intlit
Add pictures here
✖
chancethegardnr wrote:

That is rather cool for t'maters. All you need is a warm spell of a few weeks with cloudy nights and you will get a flowering, I don't think you are going to get the continuous flowering and vigorous growth that happens in warmer climates. Don't give up yet but don't expect too much.
David.
Add pictures here
✖

Are you overwatering them?
Add pictures here
✖

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

hmmm...
The poster is from the UK. I believe the poster is using Celcius for temperature. Ten degrees Celsius is Fifty Degrees Fahrenheit.

✖

Also fifteen inches is not very high. Tomatoes depending on variety grows around five to eight feet tall depending on variety. What the original poster does not state is how long he has been growing them. Fifty degrees fahrenheit is too cool to grow. Tomatoes grow well in temperatures in the seventies fahrenheit. They will not grow also if temp is too hight like the nineties.
If the temperature drops under forty the plants may die. So what are the condition of the plants? Nice and green?
My guess is... the pots are two small for continued growth for indoors. A fifteen inch plant probably needs at least a five gallon deep bucket with drainage holes. Flowers may not begin until the plant is around three feet high using a trellis.
The original poster could also be using raised beds inside the green house. Is this the case???

✖
In article

OK, you're using Celcius, so you need a soil temp of 21C, and night time temps from 10C to 13C for tomatoes.
Tomatoes always seem as if they take forever to grow. Hopefully you planted tomatoes that ripen early, 60 days or more or less. Worse comes to worse, you may need to add a heater at the end of the season, to get your tomatoes.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

I would hazard a guess that these are degrees C equal to 41F-50F http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm
Mike
Add pictures here
✖
Billy wrote:

Billy, who clearly is not a troll must be having a severe bout of American Parochialism. The fit comes on them and they have to go and lie down in a dark room and not type for a few hours. Fear not he will recover.
The civilised world uses thermometers with degrees Celsius. Yes there are some exceptions like Liberia and Burma, oh and the USA for some reason. Your tribe will want us to go back to the Julian calendar soon so you can get those 13 days back in your lives.
David
Add pictures here
✖

In defense of Billy, the OP was giving mixed measurements. Why state inches instead of using the metric system like in meters? Perhaps those in the UK uses a mixed system of measures. After all who came up with the "English Pound"?
At first I felt the OP had made a mistake is typing the numbers.

✖

Possibly, like me, the OP grew up learning Imperial measures in school and then at some stage in his/her life, his/her country converted to using metric measures.
I still (mostly) use inches and feet for height of both plants and people. I have trained myself to know that 30cm is roughly a foot and that it is about 5cm to 2 inches but I am constantly doing conversions between inches and cms.
Perhaps those in the UK

There is no way any UK poster would use a mixed system whereby they'd use the term "English pound". Anyone from the UK who'd use that term has already been dead for about 150 years.
Add pictures here
✖

Sorry, but I was taught the English system of measurements, as well as the metric. Where would one expect the English system of measurement to be used? I caught the error quickly, so you can now go back to your parochial existence.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

What on earth is this "English system of measurements" of which you speak? As far as I know, there is no such thing.
Add pictures here
✖

When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise ;O)
I've embarrassed myself enough, Fran. If you want to continue down this path, google the term "English system of measurement"
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

As the old saying goes: "Two Countries divided by a common language" :) In the US we call it the "English System of Measurements". The UK calls it the "Imperial System".
First of all the world needs to know the two golden rules when comes to the United States.
Golden Rule #1: The United States is always correct!
Golden Rule #2: If the United States is wrong, please remember Golden Rule #1.

✖

Americans may note some facetiousness in this sentiment. The rest of the world just hears arrogance.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

:)

✖

No it's not. An Imperial Pint has 20 fl ounces.

But that only applies if you live in the US. The rest of the world knows different (ducking and running).
Add pictures here
✖

OK, did. I found at Dummies.com, that it's a system of measurement not used in the UK and that supposedly a Pint has 16 ounces. Now I know for sure that it isn't any British or English system of measurement.
Add pictures here
✖