Tomato question

Page 2 of 2
You said: Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the determinate and starting to die? http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm ----------------
Kevin, I've examined the pic of your plant with yellowing and browning leaves. I've been plagued with this problem for years and it looks like classic early blight, though early blight frequently includes black spots on the yellowing leaves as an additional symptom.
My primary point to you is that the active ingredient in Daconil is Chlorothalonil. Bonide's Fung-onil uses the same active ingredient in about the same percentage. I use either, whichever is available.
Others may have mentioned this; but the key to the use of these fungicides is to use them as early as possible, and frequently. It will typically not eliminate the problem, but will significantly slow its advancement.
I believe others said that some varieties are much more susceptible to this than others. This variation in susceptibility is also true of wilt, which is soil borne and systemic and for which there is no cure. I usually pull those plants. But you are not experiencing wilt. Wilt is unmistakable in its appearance.
My modest input to you after years of the battles--open to correction and input. DaveH Chambersburg, PA
I use a good fungicide once a week and add 1/2 aspirin per gal. of the spray. I also trim the bottom 3 or 4 limbs off of my plants as soon as they get going. Try the aspirin. You will be amazed.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:51:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mel M Kelly) wrote:

acid? Interesting ... and I'll try anything! Regards, DaveH
Goggle aspirin therapy for plants and I think you will find it. It is from the U of RI I think. I have been doing it for 2 years. Last year I had a tomato the weighed 2 lb 10 oz. Right now I have a tomato plant 7 ft tall and some of the biggest cabbages I have ever had. All look good.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 16:33:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mel M Kelly) wrote:

Very interesting and impressive results.
Something I do that has produced impressive results is to sprinkle about 1 tbsp Epsom salts around each tomato and pepper plant. It increases the wall thickness of peppers, and seems to increase the complexity of our tomato's flavor. Perhaps your aware of this. I do this once, about a month after planting.
Of possible general interest--My soil prep for tomatoes consists of amending the soil for each plant with a handful of Espoma's Tomato-tone and a handful of bone meal. I then feed periodically with Miraclegro's plant food for tomatoes. The frequency and amount I determine mostly by feel and intuition, based generally on the plants overall health, especially the depth of the leaves green color.
I taper feeding as the season progresses, and of course, reduce watering as fruits start to ripen.
Much of it is feel. I expect you know what I'm talking about. I've not done a soil test in many years. Another is order. Regards, Dave

thanks for your thoughts The plant is still producing giant orange tomatoes.