The End of Cheap Food

Page 2 of 3

Not sure where you got your information, but it is not. Most people seem to think they prefer cane sugar, but some studies indicate hummers prefer beet sugar (http://trochilids.com/faq.html#nectar ). Try them both, see what they prefer.
Honey, however is definitely a no-go for hummingbirds.
Cheers!

You really think this is true, or even possible?
I don't and others don't either.
http://carolynbaker.net/site/content/view/46 /
Peace Brother, Rant On Charlie........Devouring the Day
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:41:33 -0500, Charlie wrote:

It is interesting to me that the (allegorical) sons of the Boston Tea Party, the Great Railroad Strike of 1877, and the Viet Nam protests have turned into the (allegorical) whining kid sisters. "We caaaaan't". You don't think it's possible, Charlie? You even question the concept's veracity?
Maybe the author I recommended should have been Paine instead of Kingsolver. That worked for J. Sterling Morton.
You don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Bob Dylan

Here in Pennsylvania forest was destroyed years ago and many farms resulted. So there was a great deal of farm land. So what did we do with all of our intelligence? Destroyed the farm land and put in housing developments. very sad.
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Darn it all, it seems as though We don't know what we've got 'til it's gone... They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot.
symplastless wrote:

exhausted you put back the top soil and build a golf course. You think I'm kidding? They did it to land I used to hunt ;) Frank

<lol> Sorry for laughing, but that is such an irony is it not?The same thing is happening everywhere.
Farmers lose their land to increased property taxes due to increased property values...
for housing developments and mini-malls.
Building housing on fertile lands is an f-ing crime. There are plenty of places to build that are hostile to farming. It's not a matter of space. Not really.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I net about $750.00 per week. Between pet food and human food (of decent quality rather that eating a diet high in starch like too many do) I spend about $250.00 per week at the grocery store.
I don't know anyone that does not currently spend 30% of their budget on foodstuffs.
Unless they eat crap like rice, beans and flour tortillas...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Charlie wrote:

very nice is rice. Beef or chicken stir fried with various flavourings on a bed of rice & shredded lettuce fresh from the back garden.
rob

But who can afford beef nowadays? ;-)
I meant rice, beans and torillas as a staple diet.
We do eat rice but it's brown, red and black rice from the asian market.
Nothing wrong with a good stir fry served over rice but I was not talking about that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

It is, but due to the starch content, it's very high in calories and simple carbs as well. The proportions are off.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
In article

Cheap protein with out the bad conditions I wonder how long before beetle farmed is a trade mark?
http://www.comby.org/insect/insecten.htm
I've eaten caterpillar on my broccoli in front of my kids. Just to show them it happens and it is not harmful.
Soylent green anyone?
Bill who was once attracted to macrobiotic lore.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Balgreen Portal to the Souther Realm

About what I do.

I don't know where you live or what you buy, but I spend about that much per month.

Hi; I'm Oz. Gladtomeetcha

I eat beef, pork, chicken, or fish at least once each day (but I must confess, I catch the fish myself). Some of it processed -- as in salami or sausage -- but most in its "natural" state. Other quality foods, with not nearly as much (as I am still learning) from my own garden as I would like. I probably eat too much, but very little of it is junk or poor quality. I do, however, have a weakness for hard cinnamon candy. This is just for me, as I live alone, but have guests in for dinner about 5-6 times a month.
cheers
oz, who eats flour tortillas often -- the brown ones make great roll- ups

That is for 2 people and the pets. About 1/2 of that is for good quality pet food. Fresh meat and fresh veggies is what we mostly eat, most of that cost is for meat.

We eat fish about once per week if that. Most of that is chicken, pork and some beef.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 8/8/07 10:38 AM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

While it can vary widely, I think we average about $200 a week for 4 people and no pets. However, I have a teenaged son..... We're trying meatless days, but that doesn't seem to work well.

Heh!
I've heard about teenage boys, and have had Ben (14 y/o) over for weekends sometimes. Normally, that boy can really eat but he's trying to lose weight.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 8/8/07 12:29 PM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

Right now, he's very careful about his intake but the food still disappears at an alarming rate.
Cheryl

I'm waiting for my two Nephews to reach teenage...
It'll be awhile yet, but should be interesting!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 8/9/07 12:34 PM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

Check out Madhur Jaffrey's book World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the Globe. She tracked down traditional (read: easy and delicious) vegetarian recipes from all over. Try "Nigerian Red Kidney Bean Stew with a Peanut Sauce" for your sons. It's basically bean chili with peanut butter added. As Madjur says, "The peanut butter flavor just seams to melt away, leaving only an unctuous sense of creaminess."
I'm a flexitarian who doesn't buy or cook meat myself, but will eat it in social situations to not be rude. We eat a delicious and varied diet for about $35 a week per person. We're chose to do this for moral, health, and environmental reasons.
Environmental reasons? Yes, vegetarian is the new Prius, with a much smaller initial investment. (And you can keep your truck to haul mulch.) University of Chicago researchers found that "when it's all added up, the average American does more to reduce global warming emissions by going vegetarian than by switching to a Prius," reports Kathy Freston on the Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/vegetarian-is-the-new-pri_b_39014.html