Surplus Gypsum

I needed five tablespoons of gypsum (calcium sulfate) for a mushroom spawn project so I went to the feed store. I couldn't find a small bag or box on the shelves, so I asked the clerk. She said that all they had was a 50-poun d bag for $9.99. I figured that for only ten dollars, I'd buy the sack and use the excess somewhere.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of use for gypsum, other than breaking up cl ay soil for better drainage, which isn't a problem for us. I guess I could just spread it around the pasture, figuring that the calcium will eventuall y get into the grass, which will give my sheep stronger bones when they eat it.
Any novel ideas of what to do with 49.99 pounds of pelletized gypsum?
Paul
On 5/27/2016 9:51 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

years ago and use it to sling pelleted gypsum on the lawn. Our home was built on clay with a two inch layer of sand. Builder did this to avoid the Federal flood insurance.
Putting the gypsum out takes some time to break down the clay. We did that on a lot in Corpus Christi, TX back in the late seventies and it worked over a several year span. If I remember correctly we did it once a month and watered heavily.
George
Pavel314 wrote:

keep a few lbs in a container in case you need it in the future. otherwise, yep, spread it around, calcium and sulfur are usually appreciated by plants. if the topsoil has been grazed and animals removed then it probably wouldn't hurt at all.
songbird
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 10:08:58 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:

on the shelves, so I asked the clerk. She said that all they had was a 50- pound bag for $9.99. I figured that for only ten dollars, I'd buy the sack and use the excess somewhere.

They're moving to the north pastures in a couple of days for the month of J une. I can spread the gypsum on the south pastures in early June and the ra ins should wash it in by the time I move them back in July.
Paul