Strange plant problem

I have been growing my own vegetable plants under fluorescent lights and heating mats for many years. This year I have encountered a problem I never had before. I hope this group can help. The seeds germinate and grow a stem and leaves. They look vigorous. About a week later the leaves are gone leaving only about a 1.5 inch stem The stem looks like it is cut off right below the leaves. The stem doesn't look diseased. This occurred on my pepper and lettuce seedlings. Thanks, Richard
In article

Do the trays have tight fitting lids? Sounds like insects or mice.
--

Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

I have no pets. I think that some of the stems never got any leaves. Could this be a germination problem with the seeds? Richard
In article

leaves.

leaves

leaves.

No it appears to be a problem with public education. Now why don't you go play in the traffic, and leave the adults alone?

--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
In article <26fdec13-8212-4a10-af4d-6de68ed851f1

.
If it looks sheered off as if by teeth, then they have, as Billy and Steeve said, been bitten off something.
Set 3 or more mouse traps with peanut butter as bait near the wall of the room. Mice travel in packs. Look for insects, snails and slugs.
I don't know your experience with fluorescent lights, but I've seen some oddities with leaves develop that were corrected by putting the plants in daylight.

Hm.. that sounds kinda weird. My only two issues with similiar problem: 1) field mouse, now deceased, and 2) over-zealous cat (still alive, but seedlings are quarantined). I've been growing plants under flour. lights for several years, never saw anything odd. The occasional cabbage doesn't develop true leaves, but not entire flats worth.
Lights should be just not touching, they need to be really close. You don't get a lot of heat from flour. lights. Every few days plants should be rotated from the ends to the middle and vice-versa. Rotating the plants now and again, in place, can also help. Harden the seedlings off properly.
In article <de962bb9-b5ac-49f3-bb97-
says...

I thought so too, but it hasn't been a serious problem and only seems to affect new leaves on mature plants.
Give the plants a straight diet of daylight and they're fine.
�I've been growing plants under

White, whole wheat, or rye?