Storing Jeruselam (Sun) Artichokes

First year I have grown this type of Artichoke and what a crop! I have left them in the ground and dug as needed but now it is time to prepare for next years crop.
What is the best way to store the remaning chokes that I have just dug? They soften so quickly when left exposed.
I have heeded the advice and screend the soil surrounding last years planting to minimize the spreading of the vigorous plants.
My side wrote:

have left

for next

dug?
no real way to store them. That's why the storebought chokes are so close to inedible. Try to eat them as soon as dug.

good idea. I used to have a vigorous patch myself, until the deer found it. But in time I found that the surrounding lawn crept in. It is best to place a solid grass barrier, and mulch heavily with chips. Basically, same thing as with asparagus.

They keep reasonably well simulating in-ground storage: As close to freezing as possible and damp. I've put them in a plastic bag with a hunk of wet paper towel in the crisper tray of the Fridge. Some I left in a garden cart in an unheated garage after digging are still passable.