Squash question - update

Hi all,

Thanks to everybody who responded to my query about the squashes which were supposed to be butternuts, but clearly weren't. We're happy calling them the Buttercup/Kabocha type.

Anyway, we went down to the allotment today and brought them home with us. The plant was showing signs of a touch of frost,which was confirmed by the adjacent householders, although we've had no frost at home only 2 miles away. Also we're going to be a bit busy in the next few weeks, so home they came. There are a couple of pics of them here -

?c_photo=3397659425 in the pics, plus about 5 or 6 small ones left on the plants just in case they do anything, and a couple given away already. 30+ from 2 plants, not bad, no?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Steve, have you tried any of them? How do they taste?

I'm not suggesting that you did this, but I used seeds once I had saved from a prior years planting and got some strange results. From then on I have never planted seeds that may have been cross-pollinated, unless it happened while the seed company had them.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

you sure they aren't little gem squash?

Reply to
Michael Calwell

We're happy calling them the

No, I'm not sure of anything anymore :-))

The main reason for my original post on 08/09 was to ask if anyone knew. The consensus of what others posted and from the sites they posted links to, was that they were most likely Buttercup/Kabocha type ... Ish. It doesn't bother me enough to get worked up about, I get the impression that identification of squashes generally is open to some interpretation.

We haven't tasted them yet, but will later this week.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat