shade tolerant veggies

Got this from a Colorado State website:
In general, leafy vegetables are the most shade-tolerant, while those that fruit from a flower (tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplants) are the least. In between are the root vegetables requiring at least a half day of full sun: potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. Shade tolerant leafy vegetables include lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, endive and radiccio. Broccoli (and its relatives -- kale, kohlrabi, turnips, mustard and cabbage -- also grow in partial shade.
That's very helpful! Thanks! Where do you get those veggies? I would like to try one.
On 11/12/07 1:27 PM, in article 4738c4e1$0$79893$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net,

Mm. Gives me incentive to plant more chard next year, IF I can control those bloody cabbage worms!
Anyone know if BT is dangerous to humans and ok if sprayed on leafy greens and eaten shortly afterwards?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet said:

You sure those were cabbage worms? Chard is totally unrelated to the cabbage family. It's related to beets and spinach (one-time family Chenopodiaceae, now Amaranthaceae). T
I have had ongoing problems with leaf-miners in chard and beets.

Listed as safe to use up to day of harvest. (Wash those leafy greens throroughly before cooking!)

snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Well, they mostly tried to demolish the Broccoli that was next to them, I think they ate some of the chard "just because".
Here are pics. They destroyed the Horseradish utterly:
http://i3.tinypic.com/7wf2f4h.jpg

And be sure to actually cook them. Wonder about lettuce tho'.
Perhaps a vinnagrette. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet said:

Oh, those aren't cabbage worms. Those stripes make them look a bit like some sort of army worm. (Army worms' favorite food plants are grasses, but they'll settle for eating just about anything. And they tend to appear in masses, thus the "army.")
http://entomology.unl.edu/images/smgrains/armyworm/armyw_larva.jpg
Cabbage worms are pretty much plain green. (And cabbage loopers and diamond back moth caterpillars, are mottled shades of green as well.)

snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

I think the one thing that helped keep them off the chard more was the fact that I planted a patch of Pennyroyal that happily grew in around it.
Thanks for the ID! I've had a lot of trouble with those things but I'm sure BT would work for them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
doofy said:

My experiance is that bush snap and shell beans will tolerate some shade. Actually, they can take ore shade than potatoes, though less than lettuce and parsley.

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance th
information of the viewers , however I would like some specifi information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me private message. Best Regards
-- Muaz
Muaz wrote:

huh?

Yeah.
I don't understand the post either, plus that's not how usenet works anyway!
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet wrote:

Could be wrong, but I think they're wanting to harvest email addresses.

Very likely. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
Omelet wrote:

Except they don't even have a workable email themselves.