Scale and lemons

Page 1 of 2
Last year my little lemon trees were attacked. A trip to the local nursery with a trimming in a zip lock bag got me a diagnosis and a bottle of spray. I had to spray weekly and seemed to just keep the critters at bay. They went away for the winter but now are back.
Anyone have any recommendations for a solution? What I was using last year was a spray for scale by "Safer" brand for fruit and vegetables. One tree lost quite a few leaves and I'm thinking I need something a bit more effective.
marcella
Marcella Peek wrote:

Certainly there are stronger insecticides. Some are systemic (absorbed by the plant) and work well on scale BUT, if you (or others) ever consume the lemons from those trees, you don't want that! The spray you used before may have worked but the trees just got infested again. The reason for the repeated sprayings is that the adult scales are not killed easily. The adults just finish their life cycle and die off as they always do. The spray is to kill the new young ones before they get their protective shell. If you are too late with a spray, some will mature and survive. You might try an oil spray. Oil smothers the scale and can even smother most of the adults. You'll still want to spray a few times. I have experience with killing scale but I live a thousand miles from the nearest outdoor lemon tree. I would think a light oil such as ... wait a minute, I'll run down to the basement and find out for sure ... Yes, my bottle of "SunSpray Ultra-fine" oil IS labeled for killing scale on lemon trees. That might be a really good choice.
Steve

Yes, my dad suggested something systemic but it would be nice to eat the lemons. That is the point of the trees for us.

Thanks, I'll look for that.
marcella
g'day marcella,
over here we us an oil spray called 'white oil' (it's a petrolium bi-product a like product)available not sure could be wrong here but i think you call it dormant oil, but any good nursery will be able help you with the product name. best applied after the heat of the sun has gone for the day, you might need 2 or 3 sprays.
also look for ants they and the scale share a symbiotic relationship, so if you find ants then you need to move them along so you don't get reinfested.
there is a recipe for a homemade version of the oil on my remedies page.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening

Thanks, I will look for dormant oil spray. I've heard of it, but not used it before.
marcella
g'daty marcella,
make sure i got the name right hey?
len
snipped
--
happy gardening
Marcella Peek wrote: .................

Read the label before you buy. I believe products labeled as dormant oil are for use on trees while they are dormant. It might be used on an apple or plum tree in the early spring just before the leaves start to grow. I doubt that it is labeled for, or safe for, use on trees with leaves. Some formulations might be. Read.
Steve

Ok... so what can I use for scale infestation on cactus? San Pedro cactus...
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
Katra wrote:

I had to look up a picture of San Pedro cactus to see if it was covered with spines or not. I see there is space between the rows of spines. If you have it in a pot, and it's not too huge, you can do it the easy way. Take some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and rub off every scale. Spray, or otherwise wet the plant with alcohol about twice a week to kill the microscopic young ones. Inspect the plant closely every week for a while to watch for new scale. Get them before they have time to reproduce. If you live where you are growing this cactus outside, you'll probably have to spray with something stronger.
Steve
il Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:40:17 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

Do you have any idea how much alcohol one can use on any plant before it turns up it's toes? I get occassional scale on various plants and some can be rubbed off but the bay tree is loaded (mainly on the trunks, not the leaves.
--
Cheers,
Loki wrote:

I'm pretty sure most plants can tolerate undiluted rubbing alcohol (usually, it's isopropyl alcohol) sprayed as often as you want. It evaporates fast and leaves no residue. Alcohol will not kill adult scale. It's mainly to kill the newly hatched babies. On a plant with too many scales to remove by hand, I would use something else. The proper type of oil will smother even the adults without harming the plant and it's quite non toxic.
Steve
il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:36:11 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

I sprayed 'em with something which helped but I can't remember what it was. Possibly conqueror oil (mineral) but maybe not...
--
Cheers,

That's what I thought. :-) What kind of oil would you recommend? I came in late to this thread so would appreciate comments.
These damned creatures spread FAST!!!
Gods help me if they ever get on my one and only precious cycad. :-(
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:36:11 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

There are one or two houseplants that don't like oil. but as usual I can't remember what they are. I suspect the Kentia Palm is one and probably violets. I'd have to browse my books again and since I'm really meant to be getting ready for work... Soft fluffy leaves probably don't handle it well ;-)
--
Cheers,

It's in the greenhouse... That's what has me worried! I've used some sevin', but have read that it usually takes an oil based insecticide to effectively kill adult scale? But what are oil based pesticides and how dangerous are they?
Thanks!
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
Katra wrote:

I have some doubt about what they mean by oil based insecticide. Some insecticides are wettable powders to be mixed with water. Some in liquid form are also water based. Some liquid insecticides are in an oil base (you still usually mix that liquid with water). More often, these are referred to as petroleum based insecticides. These can be harsh on delicate plants. I wouldn't think cactus would be delicate but I'm not sure. If you burn a few leaves on a plant that can grow new leaves, that's one thing but if you burn your cactus, it's scared for life. They may have simply been referring to products like the "SunSpray Ultra-fine" oil that I mentioned in my first post in this thread.
Steve

Hmmmmm... I wonder if I mixed pennyroyal essential oil with some vegatable based oil to act as a diluent? Scale as adults are sessile, so those breeders I need to kill. :-P I can put the oil spray into a spray oil dispenser used for cooking. AKA an "oil pump"
I'm finally getting pennyroyal established in one of my raised beds. Great ground cover and acts as "green mulch" and is insect repellant.
D'you think this might work?
I have a small investment tied up in the San Pedros as landscaping cacti and have been actively trying to propagate them. This damned scale infestation could be a real blow!
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
Katra wrote:

It might, but I have no way of knowing for sure. At this point you are doing an experiment, so you are on your own! ;-)
Steve

<lol> Ok, I just did not know if anyone had any experience with pennyroyal. I know it sure works for fleas, and tends to keep slugs and stuff out of the gardens where it is growing!
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:43:49 -0600, Katra

I am jumping in rather late, but here is something for you to consider. Oils like mineral oil are bengn on the stems of leafy plants, but catus breath through their skin. I do not really know for sure, but oil on a catus seems like a bad idea to me. You may well smother tha catus along with the scale.
-Rick