Ripening pears

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

Yer gomnna get Dopey if youre not nice! or could be cursed by being Sneezy....

But Dopey is already taken so I think I'll let you keep it.
wrote in message

Ok Youre cursed with Dopey... Ya havent been nice lately....

But of course you obviously think that you've been as nice as pie. A classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.
wrote in message

Of course I have been nice! I could have done worse and called you other names. I dont think that at all. Some of us "avent" got a good memory, or forget about things. As far as classical goes, that saying definitely goes back to the dark ages...and could be showing your age...

Bwahahahaha.
I mean, a lovely parry. Do continue ;O)
--

Billy
Kleptocrats Behind Bars
wrote in message

Nuh, I was ticking up for someone . Emails can be so easy to miss, and those that write them, tend remember writing them, but if you havent seen it its so easy to miss or even forget. Long winded replies are inclined to be forgoten No need to be Grumpy. Dopey or even tarry to parry thrust or try to make a farm1 bite the dust He/She's quite sweet most of the time.... I still dont know what gender.

Claims to have a husband. Around here, that's usually a female, but the times they are a changin'.
She is sweet. She'll settle for a draw, but she won't lose. Just you watch out for your groin.
--

Billy
Kleptocrats Behind Bars

Jonno said teasingly >>Wow watta woman! I bet she's only 5ft 2 too...

If I was so short, I'm sure I'd tower over you.

Well it's big of you to say so. But don't get too put out by a snarly session on my part. Given the shit that's happening in Victoria at the moment a minor face ripping on usenet is totally irrelevant in the great scheme of things.
FarmI wrote:

Quite so. How is your psture going? Any fires near you?
David

There is one fire in the district but it's nnot considered a problem ATM but the smoke is somewhat concerning because you're always on high alert, as you'd know.
Our pasture is all hayed off so it's a case of giving the cattle bypass blocks to cope with the feed. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily if a fire starts) we have lots of dry standing feed so we don't have to feed out or buy any. Should be OK for winter too. And in fact I'm now looking forward to winter with a vengeance.
What about your pasture - have you had to agist your animals yet?
FarmI wrote:

Not yet. We have just let them into a reserve area that I was irrigating a bit (until the river stopped) so they are OK for now. We have had 28mm of rain in the last few days and getting a little green flush. Right now I am gambling that we will get more rain and build up some growth before the weather turns - if not we are stuffed. They are all pretty fat so a couple of good falls in the next few weeks will see us through.
David

Well good luck for the rain. We've had a wee bit overnight and it's overcast and mizzling here ATM. I'd love to see a few days of steady rain.
Ar Emails and Females... Thery often git it rong!

I think the best way is to pick a couple and let them sit for a few days, then taste them. If they are completely unripe, go out and pick some more to test. If they are almost ripe, pick them all. --S.
This is a huge question! There are innumerable varieties of pears, and each one is different. I've been looking, without much success, for clear and reliable information on this for many years.
Some suggested ways to tell when they are ready to pick: Just after the "last run-up in size." When, if you lift them gently, they detach from the tree (or, when they begin to fall). When the seeds are hardened and mature (cut some open to check).
Just to keep things interesting, on some varieties all the fruit on the tree will not be ready to pick at the same time. And I've been told that Bartletts will ripen on the tree.
If you pick them too soon they will never ripen. If you leave them too long, some will just go straight from inedible to mush, some will just seem indefinitely inert.
That's the first tricky part, when to pick them. The second tricky part is what to do next. Some will ripen over a period of days or weeks sitting around at room temperature, some need a particular stretch of refrigeration. And some, once they are ripe, pass very quickly (just a very few days) into rottenness.
Actually, I guess the first tricky part is to know what kind of pear you have. If it is a tree you "inherited," this can be very difficult. If you know what kind it is, you can search for information on that particular variety. If not, do some meticulous experimenting and keep track of your results, until you hit on the right timing and ripening routine for your tree. Keep track of the bloom time, too, so you will eventually be able to predict when they are getting ready to pick (i.e., xxx days from bloom to picking). It can take years, so be stubborn.
Good luck!
--
snipped-for-privacy@insectgraphics.com
Visit www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs