Re: Poor seed germination?

Why would you say that they 'may have been cooked'?

I bought string beans(11/12 germination rate), Big Beef(15/16), and canteloupe(18/18) from Target( Burpee's Fordhook )also, but have had great success with them as the numbers indicate. And they're doing very well after germination. The Big Beef were so small when I planted them that I thought I never get any tomatos(2-inches in mid-May), but now they're all over three feet with tons of fruit.

My local Target has them in a rack in the gardening section of an air conditioned store. I supposed refills could be stored in the store's boiler room, but this particular one doesn't have that much movement of the seed packets.
Rob
I recently wrote to Burpee about the very same thing. They apologized and said they were dealing with retail sales of there product and had no control over how long stores kept the seed or in what environment it was kept. There suggestion was to purchase seed from there catalog and if it did not germanate they would replace it with two packages. They want all stores to send back or log into them how many packages are left over after being on the shelf for three months. Like that will ever happen !
Kathy

I had the same problem with OSC seeds this year. I went through about 4 packets of butternut and winter squash and only got one germination! A relative took pity on my plight and bought some already growing squash plants for my garden at a gardening store. But I still can't account for the poor germination, and I bought those seeds in two different cities in Ontario.
Jack