Re(2): Poppy Seeds SALE or TRADE

>>Hens and Chickens, a big somniferum. It's still in the UK catalog. >>
>On second thought, scratch my prior post saying they're a >useful plant for rock gardens, etc. > >It appears that the USA and UK call two different plants >'hens and chicks' - not a surprise. > >The ones we call 'hens and chicks' in the USA are >_Sempervivum tectorum_ and they are definitely not an annual >and not 30" high as described in the T&M catalog. They're a >low-growing perennial succulent. There are variations but >all in the _Sempervivum_ family, AFAIK, and all low-growing >perennials, AFAIK. > >T&M doesn't give the scientific name but their 'hens and >chicks' are obviously not the same thing at all. > >Pat

I'm glad this thread went this far before I read it. I was shocked to see that hens and chicks might be considered a drug! I wondered what other succulents were next. Now I know that was was being discussed is not the hens and chicks of my childhood which is a relief. I'd hate to think those cute little things growing in the rocks were the target of some drug war.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

That upset me too! They are a *very* useful plant for rock gardens and dry areas, and can be grown as a houseplant too.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows