pruning tomato flowers?

We have some indeterminate tomatoes (Cherokee Purples), which are growing well (knock on wood), and producing a lot of flowers, and (so far) some fruits. We cut a tree this year, so have actual SUN in the garden - a new experience.

Some of the flowers seem quite close together. I'm wondering if it would make sense to pinch some of these off now (zone 5+). My 'reasoning' is that this would (a) avoid crowding, and (b) 'direct more energy' (as they say) to the remaining fruits.

I didn't find much about this with Google. (Which may be a skill-set issue.)

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

Neither of which are in themselves very useful.

Thinning may give fewer larger fruit but will not improve the overall yield or alter flavour. It is usually done to avoid overloading the branches (on fruit trees) or to produce specimen produce (eg giant pumpkins), such as are entered into shows. Are you just experimenting for fun or looking for a particular outcome?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I'd say 'experimenting', but that implies keeping track of what I've done, to which plant. Despite good intentions, that always seems to come up short. Alas.

Thanks,

George

Typically, thinning is done by picking the young fruit, not flowers. This seems as if it would make more sense with determinate tomatoes than with indeterminate, like the Cherokee Purple. With determinate tomatoes, you have a better idea of the ultimate size of the harvest, and can adjust accordingly. Whereas, with an indeterminate, if you pick one off, the vine will just set another.

Reply to
Billy