Pressure canners

Hi.. now that our gardens are starting to produce is anyone here a canner? I searched all over for a canner with a pressure dial like my old canner had and couldn't find one anywhere. The one I bought is a Presto and has the weight and other things on top, but no pressure dial anymore. Which ones do you prefer? Which do you feel do a better job at canning safely?
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:23:12 -0500, "Katey Didd"

All-American models have a pressure gauge.
http://www.homesteadharvest.com/pressurecanners.html

Hi again, we decided to take this one back and get the Presto 23 qt with the pressure dial. I wont be canning enough to justify those over $200 canners. The kids are grown and gone. It's just the two of us now. We're on SS, so our income is limited. To save shipping we're going to order it from Wal*Mart and pick it up at the store near us.
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:23:12 -0500, "Katey Didd"

Don't be skimpy when it comes to food safety, as you are obviously concerned about. These are pricey, to be sure, but I have never ordered anything from Lehman's that wasn't absolutely the highest quality and built for a lifetime.
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID661&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCatq2&iSubCatq9&iProductID661
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID661&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCatq2&iSubCatq9&iProductID661
Very nice but pricey. If we were still young with a growing family it would pay. I think the Presto 23 qt should do it for us seniors. I had a Mirro w/pressure gauge years ago and am now sorry I sold it when we moved up here to the country. Now that we're retired we have the time to get back into some serious gardening.

Katey Didd wrote:

Buy it and pass it on to the family. We have the 921 model that is over 50 years old and the only service has been replacement gaskets.
Tom J
Tom J wrote:

I goofed on that post. That canner hasn't even needed a gasket, because it doesn't have one. :-)
It's a smaller Presto Canner that has to have gaskets. :-(
Tom J
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:23:12 -0500, "Katey Didd"

One benefit of the weight "jiggler" type is that they never go out of calibration whereas the dial gauge type should be checked and, if necessary, recalibrated before each season's use. This could be a bit of an inconvenience but result in problems with the processed food if not done. In the USA, I believe this check and recalibration is a service provided by University Extension Services. Here in Canada I know of no such service so I stick to the weight gauge type.
Ross.