Pine nuts.

I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No big deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them in the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No problem. Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled first... But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and have been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of illness comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

Good luck!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=raw%20pine%20nuts
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com /
DogDiesel wrote:

if they are raw then it depends upon how they are stored if i would worry about them. don't keep them in plastic bags or glass jars. a few years ago i'd picked a few lbs and forgot to put them in a paper bag. they rotted. arg!
perhaps that was the trouble? did you have them in a plastic bag where they could have started to spoil?
songbird

Nah, store container.
DogDiesel wrote: ...

ah, ok, i'm glad you are recovering. :)
songbird
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.none says...

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/infectious - diseases/articles/2011/10/31/health-buzz-wegmans-recalls-pine-nuts-over- salmonella-concerns
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/cdc-updates-pine-nuts-outbreak - with-revised-numbers/
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm278732.htm
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/30/health/pine-nut-recall/index.html
Could Giant Eagle have gotten the pine nuts from Sunrise Commodities?
says...

Yea, I'm still sick. But I can eat a little. But thanks. I see a couple of recalls. I'm looking for the container now.
Diesel.
says...

This is from one of the links. But there's no Wegmans in Ohio. The container said must boil first. But I kept trying to figure out why. So I screwed up. I'm working on day 5 now. And I'm about 80%. I'm eating a little. I had some grilled veggies last night and a bit of heinens chicken paprika's. Two cups of Hot tea this morning was awesome. I guess its salmonella . It took about 3 days to start. And nailed me fast. I went to work on day 2 and froze all night. Completely exhausted. With the heat all the way up so nobody could stand it. I'm almost over it. The salmonella bacteria can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, the FDA said. While most people recover without treatment, infection may lead to hospitalization and can be fatal. The bacteria is most dangerous to older adults, infants and those with compromised immune systems, the FDA said.
Thanks, Diesel.

We got hit by something last winter and wife figured it might have been picked up at supermarket salad bar although store denies it.
While we would all like to eat raw, unprocessed food, it may be the most likely bacteria vector. Now we're avoiding salad bars where others than the food handlers may have touched the food.