Newbie with questions: Poor root development.

So my garden plants did not get good root development last season. Raddishes took almost 2 months to develop. Carots, took all summer and were very small. About the size of my finger.
My guess is that my soil is low on pottash. What is the best way to amend the soil for better root development?
Gordon wrote:

I wouldn't assume that missing one mineral is the cause although it might be. Broadly carrots are fairly slow growing and do not require heavy feeding. If fact heavy feeding will contribute to them bifurcating. Before starting to amend your soil look at the whole situation and how other plants did in the same soil. The simplest (and probably the first) test you should do is the pH. Very high or low pH will lock up minerals.
David