Need Jalapeno processing help

I grew Jalapeno peppers for the first time this year and would like to know the best way to process and freeze them for future use this winter. I have about one hundred peppers to process.

Thank you very much.

Gene

Reply to
GENEVIG

Tina Gibson

You could blanch them (hot water for a few then dunk them in cold water), dry them off, lay them out on pans and let them freeze, and then bag them either in zip locks or vacuum seal bags.

I'd smoke some, dry some, pickle a few, and make pepper jelly (it's great with cream cheese and crackers).

Reply to
Dave

They pickle up real nice, 50/50 water and white vinegar brought to a boil and poured over them sliced in jars. One clove of garlic 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of honey per jar is a nice addition.

Reply to
Beecrofter

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:49:05 GMT, "Tina Gibson" proclaimed:

One caution, if you live in a humid place like I do (SC), the peppers will sometimes get a mold inside as they dry. If I'm air drying peppers, especially thick-walled peppers, I cut the peppers in half.

I lost a whole batch of paprika peppers to mold one year.

Pam

Reply to
Pam

Where in SC are you?

Reply to
samuel l crowe

I just wash all of my peppers, dry, lay on a cookie sheet and freeze. After frozen I put in zip lock freezer bags. They work great for soups, stews, casseroles, pizza, etc. If I have time I will go ahead and seed them and cut them up before freezing and then just pull out what I need for a recipe.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Yates

Is that for quarts? Do you think it would work for Habaneros? Thamks. Len

Reply to
len

I actually doesn't matter as the water/vinegar does the preserving. I use about the same for pints or qts with little noticable difference. Pickled garlic is real nice with peppers and I am a beekeeper so honey goes into everything. I was once told that the diffference between a 3 star restaurant and a 4 star was a box of salt.

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for habaneros . I have done firecracker, jalepeno, serrano, hot cherry, bulgarian carrot and a few others.

Reply to
Beecrofter