My Compost Smells

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

I think you've hit on why the conversations go so far afield. Cabin fever! Just got back from helping a neighbor get un-stuck in the 3+ feet of snow that have fallen (so far) after a very low-snow winter. (up 'til now!)
In article <782984b9-0881-4e78-8265-9b13c25f47e2

What do you mean by organic rubbish?

Probably autobiographical from someone who recommends growing tea but who doesn't, and doesn't even know the difference from herbal teas and tisanes. Then claims that he grows 400 olive trees, and wonders how to make them produce fruit year round. Who owns a pizza "hut" and wants to grow tomatoes year around for sauce.
Something definitely smells.
In article <wldbilly-110A62.21254225022010@c-61-68-245-

Maybe, but people do get into trouble by trying to realize an idea without understanding that there's more to know, doing any research or having knowledgeable help.
On this account and in this instance I'm willing to give a by because basic information is important enough to restate.
Everyone starts somewhere even if that somewhere amounts to putting your foot in it and losing a shoe the first time you discover the barnyard. (It's losing the shoe that make people remember the event. Who knew that a crusty, dusty cow patty could look like dirt?)
I'll await developments.
In article <f6346e84-04eb-4a58-84d8-34af7e636289

Meat is where you're going far wrong. You've already noticed the stench. It can and will attract scavengers, including rats (which may or may not be a problem where you are).
These days the general rule is only vegetable matter goes into a compost heap. If you want to process meat down to compost you use a digester.
http://www.greenusesforwaste.co.uk/minimising-food-waste.html
http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/environment/waste/compost_pages/food_waste _digesters.htm
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:53:12 +1100, "FarmI" wrote:

Indeed, we don't want him to learn from his mistakes, we only want him to sweat! :)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"

But if you look at it slightly differently, then putting in the sweat now could lead him to learn. It's usually our mistakes that make us start to think before we act.
says...

Well, as serious as you may have been, it looked like you were using humour.
I wondered why you didn't indicate that after sweating and digging through anaerobic compost that one tends to smell a little ...rotten.
I don't know why I keep thinking this newsgroup should be fertile ground for humour.
Tonyfrost wrote:

There are many kinds of plastic sheet etc but you may be making it worse by excluding the air.
David