Mulch containers.

Hello,
I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to make a container.

I use chicken wire (actually the larger 1.5" grid wire) for the compost bins. 99% of the grass and leaves stay in the bin. Many years ago Dad used to use bricks(cinder blocks) to build a pen, worked as well.
Cheers

Can you buy hay where you live? If you can, 4 bales of hay set with just each corner touching each other will be a great place to put this mix. By next Spring you'll have the mulch you mowed and mulch from the bales which will have turned quietly to a good mulching material. And they age to a nice grey unlike man made objects in the garden.

OOOHHHH !!! awesome. I was going to buy Hay for spring anyways. Thank You.
Diesel.

:-)) Glad to be of help. I've been spreading some of my well aged bales of hay today - nicely matured with lots of worms in the section sitting on the ground.
wrote in message

Mould could be grey but unlikely. When I say that it ages to grey, I mean that the exterior of the bale goes the colour of old untreated wood. It's never happened, in my experience, that this grey outer surface will be mould. But if you suspect it is, wear a mask when you spread it so you dont' inhale the spores.

Not for me. I go camping and take a truckload of wood to burn. Pallets would be just fine

Compost needs air and water to help in the decomposition of the compost. If you want something cheap and I would go with a single wire bin. Chicken wire works but can be hard to handle. When time to turn, remove wire and place next to it and give those arms a good workout. However, depending on that pile and your health, a grass mask may be needed.

I cheat, one large open pile and use the John Deer's front loader to turn the pile and use the front loader to disperse it in the spring. Guilty of using a little extra carbon fuel, so their is some quilt here. No plastic, wire or treated wood pallets though. Takes less than five minutes to turn.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Why not just mulch the garden with it? Is it too much to spread 4 or so inches thick?

Why not just mulch the garden with it? Is it too much to spread 4 or so inches thick?
No its not that much. I think the wind is gonna blow it everywhere.

You can leave the stuff in bags and just add it as you need it--I've done that before when neighbors give us dozens of bags of leaves. Some of it will be moldy after time, but that's fine. If you want to compost, pallets are a good idea to hold it in, though I use three wired together instead of four, with one side open to make it easier to turn the stuff and get it out. --S.

Awesome, Thanks.