Marigolds deter Rabbits?

Page 1 of 2
I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out. Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?
Thanks,
Tim S.New Jersey

I tried this once, and the rabbits ate the marigolds. No lie.

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to wear the marigolds and strangle the rabbits.
Steve

No, you are supposed to use the marigold flowers to season roast rabbit. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
We have at least three rabbits roamin our 1-1/2 acre propriety. So far, I've planted nothing they want - they seem to be content with the clover in the yard. I am wanting to plant some lettuce and spinach for the fall, I think that is where the trouble will start.
I just don't have the heart to kill (or even trap) these cute little creatures.
-Tim S. New Jersey

Try some low set hotwires.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Mine hop over the low wire and under the high one. Well, at least bunnies don't clean you out wholesale like woodchucks or Bambi and family!

I must agree that bunnies are cute... but there has got to be some kind of wire to stop them.
I have dogs.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Dogs work. The year after I lost Molly the bunnies started to venture into the garden. We pour male urine (!!), preferably morning urine, around the perimeter - not in the garden, but just outside. So far it seems to be working.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

That is interesting, but doesn't it cause a stink?
Since good fences make good neighbors (and good yard security) I have 6' perimeter fences in the back and 5' in front. The dogs have a nice fenced yard this way and don't bother my garden for the most part. The pair out back was starting to lay in my flower bed so I put some tomato cages in there to discourage them.
I don't suffer from (mammalian) garden predators. Insect predators are a different story sometimes... :-P
I also never get raided by deer and there is a small herd around here that often grazes right across the street.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

LOL! No, hubby is in charge of the collection, he pours it around the perimeter once a week, or after it rains. It does make the grass awfully green all the way around the garden, though!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Hm. Good concept then. I can see it making the grass greener. :-) Urine is very high in Nitrogen!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Tim wrote:

Try to think of them as rats that hop, it helps. Although wild rabbit, properly prepared can be delicious. then there's tree rats, aka squirrels; and sky rats, aka pigeons.
George

Marigolds won't work.
Bunnies may be *cute*, but they carry a schload of parasites and disease. Fleas, worms of varying sorts, including tapeworm, Tuleremia. I have to worm my cat on a regular schedule, every three months, because he eliminates them and has had tapeworm in the far past. Not to mention the damge they do to gardens, trees, etc.
The solution is not deterence. The solution is elimination. Like George says, imagine them as rats......they will breed like rats as well. If you are going to eat them, *do not* dress them without wearing protection, particularly if you have any breaks in the skin on your hands.
RWS or Gamo.
Toughen up.
Charlie

Check for pustules on the back leg meat too when you dress them out, as well as spotty/unhealthy looking livers.
Dad taught me what to look for when eating wild rabbits at a very young age. Obviously diseased bunny carcasses were not consumed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Marigolds won't work. .22 LRHP will.
Ross
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:22:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com wrote:

Sure will! Great choice if suitable for conditions.
RWS model 48 or Gamo hunter 220.....both .177, 1100 fps, or any other *real* air rifle.
Cheap, safer than .22, effective as all get out......and *quiet*!
Just depends upon yer situation. ;-)
Charlie.....who detests vermin infested, diseased, destructive, Hoppy Rats in HisSpace.

I'll second the recommend for a GOOD air rifle. No way can I use a .22 here as there are no firearm discharges in the city limits.
Just DO eat the bunnies if you are going to shoot them? I'm sure that many of us can post recipes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

*SNIP*
*SNIP AGAIN*

thought it was ironic, my son is watching his veggie tales silly songs dvd, "do the moo shoo" and while I'm reading this part of the thread this song comes on:
the bunny song:
"Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny. I didn't eat my salad, I didn't eat my steak I had too much candy, got a tummy ache! I need to eat good food to help me to grow I'll obey my momma, 'cause she loves me so!
Yeah, I'll go to church! And I'll go to school! That stuff is important, and I ain't no fool!
Asparagus singers: I don't want no pickles, I don't want no honey I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny! I don't want to tell you a joke that is funny I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny! I don't want a tissue when my nose is runny I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny! I don't want to play on a day that is sunny I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny!
Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny."
how appropriate....lol
<snipped for space>

Coincidence can indeed be amusing sometimes. ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.