Little garden on balcony - need advice

Hi,
I live in London and am lucky enough to have a little balcony. I grew tomatoes and peppers/chillies a couple of years ago, can't say I could have fed the borough but it was so lovely and the tomatoes tasted great.
I now would like to have a herbs garden... My question is around the quality of air and effect on veges/herbs... although I do have a balcony, it also is on a main road and I have a bus stop right in front of my building (most of the time very useful to have it so close).
I'm guessing the fumes from cars/buses etc is not great for either veges or herbs, but should that stop me from having my little garden on my balcony??
The tomatoes were delicious and I'm still alive but is it really bad? Thanks for your advices..I'm not a great gardener but I am so excited about getting my "fresh" herbs!
J.
--
Jtkyla

Add pictures here
βœ–

I would guess that if there were tomatoes that grew well there, the herbs would also grow well there. Light is the biggest thing with herbs. Love my fresh herbs, esp basil for salads in the summer. Nothing like it. Enjoy your garden.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jtkyla wrote:

you are probably breathing in more crud than you will ever get from eating herbs.
perhaps you can limit it somewhat by picking the newest growth and making sure to rinse before using.
of course, i'm assuming that you are in a place that no longer adds lead to gasoline...
songbird
Add pictures here
βœ–

Once upon a time you would have had asbestos and lead to worry about, but today it is mostly lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway.
I'd suggest you grow your herbs and mist, or rinse them a couple of times a week to wash the dust off.
Bon Appιtit
"Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow." - Anon
-
--
US Military budget FYI '09: $737,000,000,000
US Dept of Health and Human Services FYI '10: $78,400,000,000
Wildbilly un-binned wrote:

Sounds like a plan to me.
βœ–
"Once upon a time you would have had asbestos and lead to worry about, but today it is mostly lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway."
Great life we have hey... "lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway." :S
Thanks a lot to all of you for your advices, I can now go and get my kit with some peace of mind... :D
J.
--
Jtkyla

Add pictures here
βœ–
This apple in accoutrements is not spending money alone. It is spending the diaphoresis of its laborers, the ability of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of activity at all in any accurate sense. Under the clouds of war, it is altruism blind on a cantankerous of iron.
--
jarommtailor

Add pictures here
βœ–
<jarommtailor> wrote in message >

WTF????
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think I know what *he's* growing!
Priscilla
Add pictures here
βœ–
jarommtailor wrote:

Herbs do great in balcony gardens. Apple trees, not so much. Go small.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:25:19 +0000, Jtkyla wrote:

Harvest or pick some after a rain, and wash or soak with cold water before cooking.
Add pictures here
βœ–