Japanese egg plant recipes?

We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant fruit.
Tried an Italian style casserole using them (tomato sauce and lots of cheese), it was OK, but the meat variety is tastier. Plus they scorched on the bottom, so cooking temps were obviously too high.
They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?
By the way, it was a great year for peppers in SW Pennsylvania, best crop I have ever had. 65 or so surviving plants have produced 4 dozen quarts of pepper rings so far with more on the way.
Thanks, John

Peel, slice, couple of drops of oil to each face, bake (325-350 - 10 minutes or so depending on thickness - don't let them burn) eat. Turn halfway if so inclined, or don't. If you only have dark baking sheets/pans, try some aluminum foil outside on the bottom to help with scorching.
My mother was prone to "blistering" the skin off over flame, which is one reason I hated eggplant at home - the foulness of burnt skin got in the flesh. Just peeling it completely off before cooking makes all the difference to me.

Here's one that's always a hit when we serve them. Plus, you can use both your eggplants and your peppers.
@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
Feta & Herb Eggplant Rolls
Appetizers
3 Asian-type eggplants; ends trimmed 2 tablespoons olive oil salt & pepper roasted sweet red peppers; cut in strips 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese 1/4 cup herb & garlic cream cheese 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 36 arugula leaves 12 wooden cocktail picks 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Cut eggplant lengthwise into six slices each, about 1/4 inch thick. Discard outside slices or use for some other purpose. Brush both sides of slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on a lightly greased grill on medium heat for about 5 minutes until browned. Let stand until cool. Place one strip of roasted pepper on each eggplant slice. You can use either canned and drained or, roast your own. Combine feta, cream cheese and basil and spread over pepper. Arrange arugula leaves over top. Roll up eggplant slices to enclose filling, securing with wooden picks. Arrange rolls, seam side down, on a serving plate. Brush with balsamic vinegar. Serve at room temperature.
Notes: Small Plates For Sharing, page 114
Yield: 12 rolls
If you want more recipes, you're sure to find some here: http://aubergines.org/recipes.php 3116 eggplant recipes all under one roof.
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYhdVXaEjq4

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com /

I only planted tomatoes, late, just coming around. Neighbor down the street always has basket of tomatoes out on curb. 25 cents each. Today got 2 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, 1 green pepper, cost $1. In SWPA.
Greg
On 8/11/2012 9:08 AM, John wrote:

As a follow up we tried some egg plant recipes found on the internet and decided that Japaneses (Asian style) egg plant is not our cup of tea. I think the biggest problem is that we never really decided when they were ready to eat. When they are purple they don't have much flavor and when they turn white they are over-ripe. There is probably a sweet spot in there somewhere but we failed to figure it out.
As far as the peppers that I mentioned are concerned, I canned nearly 60 quarts of rings and gave away enough fresh picked peppers to make another dozen or so quarts. Since I now have put up way more than I can eat I would hand them out as Christmas presents but obviously not all would appreciate the gift ;)
Thanks again, John