Insect holes in pole bean leaves

A few of my pole bean leaves have insect holes in them - tried spraying them with a water and a bit of detergent - burned the leaves. What can I put on the leaves to stop the insect damage?
Granny had me spraying some kind of dust on them years ago - think it was sevin - that still the best option?
Thanks

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be sure to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit the application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

sure
the
You/d need a mechanical dust applicator with an adjustable nozzle tip for a large plot. For small plots, you/d have to roll the leaves over by hand.
Applying dust to the tops will get most of the pests, but not all. This would give you some measure of control and depending on how bad the bugs are, it may be enough.
A Sevin spray (or wettable powder) would be easier to apply, so that may be a better solution.
butch burton wrote:

My mom has been spraying a mixture of water and garlic powder( not sure bout mixing ratio) on our garden and it seems to be keeping most bugs out