fig trees .......

My husband is trying his luck at growing a fig tree from a cutting. Its looking pretty good in the pot. About a foot tall and quiet a few nice green leaves on it. When he plants it in the ground, ( and he's planning to in a couple of weeks ) how deep should he plant it? We are in south Texas. About fifty miles north of the border. Hugs ....... kate