Fertilizing established plants

Hi,
This is my first year attempting to grow some vegetables and I have a question about fertilizing after the plants are already fairly mature.
We have pumpkin, watermelon, and cucumber growing in separate places in our yard. So far no visible fruits although I see a couple of female pumkin flowers again so hopefully one of these will start a pumpkin. Plenty of bees around so polination is not a problem. Plenty of sunlight, plenty of water from the hose although it has been very dry so no rain to speak of.
So I figured maybe I need some fertilizer. Is it ok to sprinkle it on the ground above the plants and let the water bring it to the roots? That's what I'm trying but I wasn't really sure about it.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Steve

I like to get some liquid fish emulsion or fish ferilizer and pour it on the soil near the base of the plants. It's a nice balanced and low level fertlizing method and seems to work for me. You could also try using it on the leaves with a fine mist sprayer. It may attract a lot of bees this time of year though if you use it as a spray.
On 18 Aug 2005 04:05:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's what I do for my tomato and pepper, and it seems to work fine. If I see a specific problem that I think if nutritional, I use a liquid fertilizer like kelp or fish emulsion for that plant.
Penelope