Fertilizer for seeds started indoors

I started flower and veggie seeds in Ferry-Morse seed starting mix. There was no NPK listing or instruction about fertilizing. So I am assuming that it is basically inert material.

When should I fertilize, with what, and how often? Thanks for any help.

Dave ....

Reply to
Dave ....

I usually feed with 1/2 strength fish emulsion until they get to about 1-2" tall. Then I feed full strength. I also feed every other time I water. Make sure to let the soil dry between waterings, so you don't develop moldy soil with rotting plants. If you have a fan that can be put in the room, it really helps in air circulation. I started mine on a screened in porch last year and they did great. This year we've had wacky weather, so I've started them upstairs in my bonus room that has a ceiling fan.

You are right about the starting mix. It's usually a lighter mix made specifically for starting seeds. Usually there aren't any fertilizers added unless the package says so. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Penny Morgan

I use Peter's 20 20 20, and water at about 1/2---3/4 strength every third time i water. For tomatoes and peppers, and eggplants, I also add 2 or 3 tsp of epsom salts to about 5 gallons of the fertilizer solution.THe epsom salts really make the foliage green, and seem to really make healthy stalks.

Reply to
Bpyboy