Eating Green Tomatos

Hello,
Is it safe to eat green tomatoes?
I know there are lots of recipes for frying them but don't they contain a poison?
Steve Newport wrote:

I ain't died from it yet! unfortunately for some... I'm sure someone out there would like to see me gone! lol
seriously though, I don't know about any poison, and like I first said, I'm still here...
On 8/19/07 4:36 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

I noticed that my hands became stained green after handling tomato foliage. Then, when I washed my hands with soap, the wash water turned to a strong yellow. Further checking confirmed that whatever the color came from was an acid/base indicator. Does anyone here know what that tomato plant substance can be?
Bill -- Fermez le Bush--less than 18 months to go.
On 8/20/07 4:46 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Yes I have. Tell me what search terms I can use to get ten pertinent hits withou having to sift through 10,000 useless ones. That would be real help.
Bill -- The PC conservative does not believe in evolution but likes to see natural selection proceed. The PC liberal believes in evolution but will do almost anything to prevent natural selection from working.
snipped-for-privacy@newport47.fsnet.co.uk writes:

Generations of people have eaten fried green tomatoes; those same generations of people did not die from having eaten them.
However green *potatoes* carry toxins as do the parts of tomato plants. Both are part of the nightshade family.
Keep in mind that those tomatoes in the grocery stores were not ripe when they were picked. Some interesting info here addressing the toxins. http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/nightsh.htm
So, Steven, if you are concerned, just let those green tomatoes ripen so you will be comfortable eating them. Do remember that the "love apple" was considered poisonous for centuries, now a good tomato is sought after.
My daughter-in-law asked: If it was called the love apple, who gave it to someone and discovered it was not poisonous? Food for thought, eh?
Glenna (who has green Mr. Stripey tomatoes)
Excellent. Many thanks for your comment. Fried green toms for breakfast tomorrow then :-)
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Wolf peaches.
Napoleon planted tomatoes around his gardens to kill the peasants that stole his produce.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet;740709 Wrote:

Green tomato chutney - nothing like it. Been eating it for 60 years it would be nice if I could do it for another 60. I didn't even kno that anyone thought that they could be toxic. Biga
-- Bigal

I love Fried Green Tomatoes. Never poisoned me yet.
I don't believe that green tomato FRUIT is toxic. It's the stems, leaves and roots that are a problem from what I understand.
The point is is that HISTORICALLY, tomatoes, even ripe ones, were once considered toxic.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Never made us sick... :-)
We love 'em fried!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Yeah. Had em twice now. Excellent. Yum yum.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net writes:

Don't know what the substance is, but to remove it, simply "wash" your hands with a ripe tomato and the stain is gone.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk writes:

Would you be willing to email me your recipe? I'm trying to find the recipe my grandmother used for her sweet relish and have not found hers yet. This is certainly the summer for green tomatoes in our area!
Thanks.
Glenna
Sorry, havent been back here for a while and only just seen that a couple of people asked for recipes.
Simple for me I'm afraid; choped into bigs pieces and fried in olive oil. Have seen some rather copmplex recipes involving coating them in stuff but cant help with an actual recipe. Sorry.
Continuining to eat them though - excellent.