Disease resistant basil type?

For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter and died.

I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea what type of seed might resist this please let me know.

I am starting seeds later this week.

Thanks,

Reply to
<ahall

This does not sound like a "disease" to me. Basil is easy to grow in the right conditions and rarely gets diseases.

Where are you in the world, what conditions does it grow in (daily sun, temperature, soil, water .....)?

Could you post a photo?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

David> snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-panix.com wrote: >> For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either >> from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter and >> died. >> >> I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea >> what type of seed might resist this please let me know. >> >> I am starting seeds later this week. >> >> Thanks,

David> This does not sound like a "disease" to me. Basil is easy to David> grow in the right conditions and rarely gets diseases.

I was growing it here for 20 years with zero problems. Then two years in a row I had the identical symptoms.

David> Where are you in the world, what conditions does it grow in David> (daily sun, temperature, soil, water .....)?

5 miles west of Boston. Subject to rotation, in the same garden as the mentioned 20 years.

David> Could you post a photo?

Sorry, I should have taken some.

David> David

Reply to
<ahall

It might be fusarium, which is becoming a problem in North America.

I have tried the nufar variety, and I think it is more resistant than ordinary sweet basil, but it's a bit too liquorice-flavoured for my taste. There are other resistant varieties around...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Gay

Ian> snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-panix.com wrote: >>>>>>> "David" == David Hare-Scott writes: >> David> snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-panix.com wrote: >> >> For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either >> >> from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter >> >> and died. >> >> >> >> I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea >> >> what type of seed might resist this please let me know. >> >> >> >> I am starting seeds later this week. >> >> >> >> Thanks, >> David> This does not sound like a "disease" to me. Basil is easy >> to David> grow in the right conditions and rarely gets diseases. >> >> I was growing it here for 20 years with zero problems. Then two >> years in a row I had the identical symptoms. >> David> Where are you in the world, what conditions does it grow in David> (daily sun, temperature, soil, water .....)? >> >> 5 miles west of Boston. Subject to rotation, in the same garden >> as the mentioned 20 years. >> David> Could you post a photo? >> >> Sorry, I should have taken some. >> David> David >> >> >>

Ian> It might be fusarium, which is becoming a problem in North Ian> America. Ian>

Thank you. That might be it, I may have conflated light brown with yellow.

What ever it is, it is persistent and nasty.

I did find the Nufar and one other that claim to be disease resistant. I hope they work well, and I like the taste better than you did.

Thanks again.

Ian> I have tried the nufar variety, and I think it is more Ian> resistant than ordinary sweet basil, but it's a bit too Ian> liquorice-flavoured for my taste. There are other resistant Ian> varieties around...

Ian> Ian

Ian> -- *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address Ian> **************

Reply to
<ahall

We've been using tested seed from Richter's,

which has a pretty good selection and so far, so good.

Google search criteria: fusarium symptoms basil if that doesn't catch it use: diseases symptoms basil

You should come up with enough images and info to help you sort this out.

Basil fusarium's been known in NA for about 20 years... It was first identified in Western Europe and Russia. It can colonize other mints, which are unaffected and keep it going.

Bloody imports.

Reply to
phorbin

phorbin> In article , phorbin> snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-panix.com says... >> >> For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either >> from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter and >> died. >> >> I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea >> what type of seed might resist this please let me know. >> >> I am starting seeds later this week. >> >> Thanks,

phorbin> We've been using tested seed from Richter's, phorbin>

which has a pretty good selection phorbin> and so far, so good.

phorbin> Google search criteria: fusarium symptoms basil if that phorbin> doesn't catch it use: diseases symptoms basil

phorbin> You should come up with enough images and info to help you phorbin> sort this out.

phorbin> Basil fusarium's been known in NA for about 20 years... It phorbin> was first identified in Western Europe and Russia. It can phorbin> colonize other mints, which are unaffected and keep it phorbin> going.

phorbin> Bloody imports.

And it persists in infected soil for years. That is what my problem was. I am trying a couple of resistant types this year.

It is a bummer...

Reply to
<ahall