Deer Gate is a cattle gate?

I'm making a deer fence and hope to avoid the hassle of making and using gates. How about a cattle gate? I would think a homemade one could be done like a deck, but with the treated 2x4s on edge with 1.25" gaps inbetween (I would like 1.5", but there may be a safety issue with larger gaps). My thought is to make it simple 8' x 8' with the 2x4s mounted on an 8' x 8' set of 2x4s spaced at 3" so I could drive my truck on it if needed.

Thanks for the comments!

Bill

Reply to
bill

Traditional cattle guards use metal pipe or large diameter rods. The roundness is part of what makes animals uneasy in crossing. Do you think 2x4s  -  even stood on the narrow end will hold your truck ? BTW Deer can easily jump eight lateral feet -  if they really want to get somewhere.

Dorothy

Reply to
Blues Ma

Blues Ma

Won't stop deer. You need bigger spaces to stop cattle for that matter.

Jena

Reply to
JMartin

Whitetails can also clear an 8' high fence, so I wonder how high that deer fence is.

Reply to
David Efflandt