Cutting tomatoes

My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let them grow. I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this year. I am starting to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

Reply to
Aluckyguess

If the tomatoes are coming in, you might want to suspend growth. You want the energy to go into fruit production now, not more green growth. Just pinch off all the those little suckers as they sprout on the top end....if you can reach it...

;)

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East, the land of short tomato plants.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Geeze, I thought mine were doing well. I have one lonely tomato that's about golf ball sized already. But the plants are only about 18" or so.

I'd take the above advice and stunt any further plant growth.

Where the devil are ya?

5b - Poughkeepsie, NY here
Reply to
Steve Calvin

You have a tomato already!! LOL. My tomato plants are like six inches high...just transplanted. I guess I should recheck my zone...I'm in

5b...but the spring has felt like Zone 3.

;)

Zone ?? in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Yeah, I was actually shocked when I looked. Really, it's about the size of a golf ball. I've got to baby green peppers too. Go figure

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Southern California.

Reply to
Aluckyguess

I have been eating Jalopenos for month. I am giving squawsh away. The onions are ready and waiting for the Tomatoes. Strawberries and 4 different kinds of beens along with Broccoli.The carrots are taking there time. The lettuce is starting to bolt so i will pull most of that this weekend.

Thanks for the advice on the tomatoes I will cut them this weekend. I just didnt know if it was ok.

Reply to
Aluckyguess

Makes sense. The one of few localities to have decent warmth and sun for warm crops this early. Course its been dry there too. Desert aided by artificial water availability. Use water while you got it.

My tomato plants are short 1.5 ft. tall things. Lotsa flowers. No fruit yet. Sunny weather and heat will make the difference soon. Jalopenos haven't started flowering yet. Dave

Reply to
Dave