Cutting asparagus

If you want your asparagus to grow and spread so that it produces well for next year you don't cut too much this year. If you want to feed your addicted fresh asparagus eaters you keep cutting. There has to be a good point of compromise when you stop cutting. Most references are vague "a few weeks but less if the crowns are new". Also the general health of the plants, their age, local condiions and how well you feed them etc must come into play.
So other than some general rule of a set number of weeks (that may or may not fit your circumstances) how do you decide?
David
I quit when the stocks are smaller than my little finger, and the end of June or first of July no matter what the size.
Dwayne