Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest

How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground? MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

I always cut the outer leaves with scissors and let the inner leaves grow. I do the same with Swiss chard and both types tend to grow as long as they can until the heat gets higher.

Reply to
George Shirley

Yep. "Cut and come again"

David Hare-Scott

And again and again and again ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi, MJ. Add my vote to the others: cut the outer leaves and the plant will keep producing.

I don't harvest the entire head of leaf lettuce until it's nearing the end of its season as it grows hotter.

Reply to
bluechick

Thanks everyone and that is exactly what I will do :) MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

That's when I let mine go to seed and then harvest the seed heads for planting next year or strewing round the garden hoping some will self seed - they usually do and some in some very strange places.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

In the last week or so it's like someone flipped a switch on my lettuce . Romaine and Iceberg are both now growing faster than we can eat it . Now if only they'd get in sync with the tomatoes ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That's the thing, these plants were self starters. I had no luck at all last year when I actually planted the seeds. It has just been weird but Salad here I come MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Ain't gonna happen, would make the little gods of the garden mad if you could have BLT's every day.

Reply to
George Shirley