Cucumbers wilted

Hi,
Ive had an awful spring as regards veggies.
I planted out 3 outdoor cucumbers which had been grown from seed in greenhouse. I let them acclaimatise for a week or so outside befor potting them into a large trough. I put some hozelock water retaing ma in the trough as directed on the pack.
The cucs did well for about a week and looked really healthy. Then one wilted and now another. No discoloration, compost nice an moist.
I think I either over watered them or they got cold/draught.
Ive grown cucs in same pos (different pots) last year with grea success.
Any thoughts so I dont kill off the next batch (from a garden centr :()
-- gasdoctor
So when you pulled the corpses out of their pots, what did you have? If the stem just ended, sep. from the roots, that would be dampened off, and you killed with too much kindness - over watered. I have some melons headed that way.
If on the other hand you have a root system attatched to the body, then I'm stumped. Could be the soil has developed a microbe prob., or the plants were not healthy to begin with, etc. Too many variables! Your seedlings should just about dry right out between waterings. Not desert dry, but dry, so as to not be waterlogged and develop healthy roots.
But this is all just a wild guess - better luck next time!
gasdoctor;793682 Wrote:

" gonzo external usenet poster           Posts: 35 Default Cucumbers wilted So when you pulled the corpses out of their pots, what did you have? If the stem just ended, sep. from the roots, that would be dampened off, and you killed with too much kindness - over watered. I have some melons headed that way.
If on the other hand you have a root system attatched to the body, then I'm stumped. Could be the soil has developed a microbe prob., or the plants were not healthy to begin with, etc. Too many variables! Your seedlings should just about dry right out between waterings. Not desert dry, but dry, so as to not be waterlogged and develop healthy roots."
Bit of forum modding ;)
The plants were about 4-6" high and the stem didnt look brown etc so dont think it was dampening off.
The roots were intact and they lifted out whole. Looks like no.3 is going same way ,this plant is 6" high has 6-8 goo sized leaves.
Put in the new ones and placed a board behind the trelis to stop an draught. If the new ones die then I suspect some soil dwelling menace.
Interestingly my mother-in-laws have done the same (same seed) and th lady in the garden center's.
Ive just noticed one of clematis armandi wilting at a bit at the to (could be clematis wilt) its in an exposed area and the wind toda feels cold from the North
-- gasdoctor

Look at the pictures on www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/hortcrop/pp656w.htm or hgic.clemson.edu/pdf/HGIC2206.pdf
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
'Billy[_4_ Wrote:

Cheers for the link
I bought some more plants and they wilted aswell. Its seems to be some kinda fungal infection from a damp spring possibl bacterial.
Ill give it one more go with new plants and soil and regula insecticide/fungicide spraying
-- gasdoctor
gasdoctor wrote:

Why are you buying plants? Cuke seed are up in 3 or 4 days when planted in warm soil. A packet of seed for a buck, planted 6 or 8 to the hill gives plenty of plants to cull from when the 3 set of leaves appear. I leave 3 plants to the hill.
Tom J
gasdoctor;793686 Wrote:

You should pregerminate your peas in a tray,two layers of wet kitche roll. Keep damp,in light ,until peas shoot ,then plant out. Water in wit weak mix of jays fluid, this keeps beasties away
-- andrew pearce
andrew pearce;798565 Wrote:

Cheers, that sounds a good idea, will give it a go
-- gasdoctor