Caterpillars on my Dill

Reply to
Steve Peek

The often-hated scrub jays keep mine non-existent. Love those birds. They find a nest and it disappears.

One day when taking in groceries, I noticed a scrub jay was flying up to the overhang then going back to the fence, sitting there for a minute or so, then back up. I just watched until he was done and went over to see what he was eating. There were fragments of paper-wasp nests all over the ground! After that, whenever I have uncovered a wasp nest, I exit, leaving it exposed; the next day all traces of it are gone. That applied even to the one I exposed and was going to videotape the next morning while it was cool before the wasps were active; oh, well, no videotape but no wasps either!

I rarely have any wasps around while others in the area are plagued with them. Most folks dislike the scrub jays but, just for the wasp control alone, I love them!

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Cool. :-)

We have Stellar Jays around here.

Reply to
Omelet

We have lots of Ichneumon wasps which are the man parasite in this neck of the garden. I don't tend to interfere unless the balance is way out of kilter. Most years things are in balance.

Thanks. It's still pupating. It's one of the brown type EBS chrysalids.

Reply to
EV