Caterpillars on my Dill

Page 2 of 2
LOL!
Yes, maybe you should get out more.
-Tim

They are beautiful caterpillars.
I have a very small herb garden. The first year I let the black swallowtail caterpillars be and they ate my dill to a nub in no time. The dill never recovered, as it gets VERY hot here in the summer. So, the 2nd year I resorted to dusting the plants with BT :( BT is a bacterium which is toxic to caterpillars, but not to people, so it's safe for herbs.
Good luck!
Tim wrote:

omp snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

The often-hated scrub jays keep mine non-existent. Love those birds. They find a nest and it disappears.
One day when taking in groceries, I noticed a scrub jay was flying up to the overhang then going back to the fence, sitting there for a minute or so, then back up. I just watched until he was done and went over to see what he was eating. There were fragments of paper-wasp nests all over the ground! After that, whenever I have uncovered a wasp nest, I exit, leaving it exposed; the next day all traces of it are gone. That applied even to the one I exposed and was going to videotape the next morning while it was cool before the wasps were active; oh, well, no videotape but no wasps either!
I rarely have any wasps around while others in the area are plagued with them. Most folks dislike the scrub jays but, just for the wasp control alone, I love them!
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Cool. :-)
We have Stellar Jays around here.