Can compost go bad?

I came across a clear plastic bag of compost that's probably a few years old. Would it still be good. Instinct says yes, but I don't want to put it around my plants and make them sick.

Reply to
FDR

If these clippings are from your own lawn, why don't you use a mulching mower and just leave them where they are cut? If you are removing them from the lawn to use

elsewhere, you are depleting the energy of the lawn and defeating your purpose.

Sherw> I put grass clippings in plastic bags and age them a few years to make

Reply to
sherwindu

you can make bad compost but good compost will not go sour when aged. A good compost mix will reach a point where it stops breaking down. It is then almost soil like. By itself it will be fine. If you made compost with the wrong things (such as chemical laced ingredients) then the end result may be deterimental to plants. Crap compost that sits around for ages in the weather should not be a problem as the elements will undo much of the damage. If you got it right from the start it will be good now.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Reply to
John Wheeler

One of the more interesting fertilizers I've played with was some

300,000 year old bat guano from one of the Texas Caverns. I aquired it from deep in the cave with permission from the then manager when I worked there 24 years ago. ;-)

Had to be careful with it as it was quite rich. Very, very high in Nitrogen.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet